Life of Mansour's Reviews

You will find all the reviews for the movies I see, books I read and music I listen to! Enjoy!

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Movie :: Cube & Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Hi friends,

I watched two movies today, and funnily enough, both movies required me to make more use of my grey matter in my brain. One was called Cube, which is an independent Canadian sci-fi film, and the other one is called Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (don’t ask me what the title means!)

Cube, which has a cast of unknown actors, was the better of the two movies for me. It is a sci-fi, suspense film. It starts of by one man waking up in a room, which is a cube shaped. There are 6 doors leading off from each side of the room, all four walls, and ceiling and floor. He opens one, and proceeds to the next room. From the new room, he opens another door, and crash!bang!boom! He sets of the booby trap and is killed horribly. That is just a preview of what’s to come. We follow six more characters that all wake up in this room, with no previous recollection of how they got there. They are the Cop, Student, Doctor, Escape Artist, Mute and an Architect (!). They all try to figure out how to proceed to the next room, without entering one which has the booby traps. Each of them has a gift and they all put to use their gift to get out of the cube. For most of the time, you are sitting there wondering what the Cube is, will they ever get out and is the next room they enter a safe one!

Cube is a great movie, because it comments on how the social structure of the society is breaking down. The people argue and bicker, but at times do wonders when they work collectively. There are a lot of symbolisms in the movie, but it is interesting to know that there can be more than several interpretations to this movie. This movie came out in 1997, and somehow is not widely available on the market. If you get the chance, watch it, and be prepared to use your grey matter!

The other movie I watched is called Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. Carrey and Winslet play two characters that meet up in a subway train and decide to stay together. After a tumultuous relationship, Winslet enlist the services of Lacuna, who erase the memories Winslet has of Carrey and their relationship. Carrey meets up with Winslet again, and Winslet, not knowing who Carrey is, ignores him. Carrey is upset and he also proceeds to get the same procedure done. While at the time of his memories being erased of the girl he loved, he realizes that they shared a deeper passion, and in the midst of the procedure, realizes that he does not want to have her erased after all. The rest of the movie follows how the company is after Carrey’s memories, and how Carrey is fleeing from them to save his memories.

It is a heavy movie, no doubt, and we managed to get through the movie with the subtitles on. There are confusing scenes, where you don’t realize what’s happening. Having said that, I thought it was an interesting concept and got me thinking, is there any part of my memory that I would like to have erased? Maybe some sad incident or some unpleasant one in my life? But then, maybe that memory served a purpose in my life. I mean, lets say, I had a bad relationship with a girl in school. Would I want to erase that memory just because it makes me sad and angry—but then again, that particular memory serves a springboard for me to deal with such situation and emerging as a stronger person. Both movies were critically acclaimed, and have been widely watched. As for me, I am going to relax in my bubble bath now to drain away all the heavy thinking!

Take care,

Mansur

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home