Life of Mansour's Reviews

You will find all the reviews for the movies I see, books I read and music I listen to! Enjoy!

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Movie :: The Ring Two

Hey everyone,

I finally managed to see The Ring Two today. I was so unsure if I should watch it or not, and I think I wasted two hours of my life and 30Dirhams on this movie. I so felt like I was watching a re-make of the first part. The Ring, part one, was so much more tense and creepy. There was this sense of tension and suspense when we see that Rachel has only one week to live. There was that creepy, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday titles that showed up. There was the suspense of finding out who the girl is, and what the video is all about. The first scene where the two girls discuss the video was downright scary. In fact, the best thing about the first part was the clippings in the video and sheer horror shown in it.

However, in the second part, we only get to see the videotape once(not the video clippings) and later on, we see only glimpses of the video. It seemed like a re-hash of the first part! The movie had the same beginning-middle-end like the first part. In fact, the first scene in this movie was very pale in comparison to the first one. The similarity is used to the extent of even having the same male character, who Rachel enlists the help of, and having him face the same fate like that of the male character in the first part I felt like I was watching a re-make of the first part, which made the movie very predictable. There was some attempt to give the audience some back story as to who the girl is, but not much is shared with us. I can only think of one good scene which was executed well (the bathtub scene at Max's house). I was extremely disappointed from this movie. I know the original Japanese version has three parts, and I am only hoping that the third part of Hollywood's version would surpass this mediocre part two.

I also saw Constantine about two weeks ago, and four days after release, the UAE Committee removed the movie from the theatres. They want to censor the movie. So the same movie will be re-released this coming weekend. Apparently someone from the Dubai Municipality saw the movie and was offended with the depiction of the angel Gabriel in a negative light. So the movie will be censored now. This seems absurd, because Dubai re-released The Passion of the Christ, and the whole premise of that movie is not in terms with Islam's concept of the Crucifixion and yet that movie was left untouched! Disappointed in Ring Two!

Mansur

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home