Life of Mansour's Reviews

You will find all the reviews for the movies I see, books I read and music I listen to! Enjoy!

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Movie :: Rosemary's Baby

Hey everyone,

Last night, I watched a movie I had been dying to watch since I was young. It is reputedly one of the best horror movies ever made. It's called Rosemary's Baby, directed by Roman Polanski. I saw this DVD at a rock bottom price in the local supermarket, and decided to get it. I was in for a treat and was definitely scared. Rosemary and her new husband, Guy, move into a new apartment in New York, befriending an elderly couple who live near by. But when another girl in the block commits suicide, Rosemary starts getting more attention than she desires, from all the wrong people. And now with her (late) friend's warnings about witches in mind, she has a new problem - the protection of her forthcoming child. But it may not be the child that needs protection.

I am not going to spoil the ending, because the ending is the most shocking thing. Throughout the movie, I was with Rosemary and I would say out loud to her to do this or do that. I was rooting for her. That was the great thing about the movie: it involved me on a very personal level with the characters. Towards the end, I was literally on the edge of my seat because I wanted so much for Rosemary to do what I wanted her to do. What's also scary about this movie is that everything is so real. There is not a single second when I could say, thats impossible. Everything seemed so plausible and real. This stuff could happen.

This movie is not like any other cheap horror movies, like The Grudge, The Ring, Scream, Friday the 13th, Nightmare series, The Sixth Sense, The Blair Witch Project etc etc. I wish they would make more horror movies like this. Its real, and its scary. ('ll give you a small spoiler: Ro finds out later in the movie that her husband has made a deal with the neighbor, who practice witchcraft, to have a baby and then give it to them, so her husband can get the promises of resurrecting his failing acting career. You see, the whole idea of witchcraft in the movie seemed so normal. The director has you believing normally in the unnormal stuff!)

Mansur

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home