Life of Mansour's Reviews

You will find all the reviews for the movies I see, books I read and music I listen to! Enjoy!

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Movie:: The Reaping

Hello friends,

Saw two movies within the last one week. One I really enjoyed, the other I somewhat enjoyed. Let's look at the one I didn't enjoy as much as I wanted to: The Reaping.

The Reaping is a Christian-Horror movie, something that I haven't seen for a long time. The premise of the movie sounded promising, and the suspense and build-up was amazing. The Reaping stars Hilary Swank (of Boys Dont Cry and Million Dollar Baby Oscars fame) as an ex-missionary, who now works as a professor who debunks religious miracles and explains them in scientific terms. I saw a little bit of myself in her, as I also like to look into all other possible scientific explanations of anything that claims to be a religious miracale. However, our heroine is called down to a small town in Loisiana, in the heart of the Bible Belt region to investigate a series of what the townspeople deem Biblical plagues, which includes river turning red with blood, locusts infection, boils and other plagues.

Our heroine is accompanied by her co-worker who is a strong Christian and has suffered for his faith, and yet does so in this small town. While investigating the river of blood, our heroine encounters a small girl, who is shunned by the townspeople. Certain events lead for our heroine to reassess her decision to renouce her faith, and seeks answers for the bizarre happenings around her. How she comes to term with her own disastrous history regarding faith forms the crux of the story. It's a great movie, but the ending was a let down. It turns into a typical Hollywood movie.

The direction is ace, with a very realistic feeling to the whole series of events. The suspense was top notch, with certain scary scenes (which freaked a friend of mine!), but like I said, the ending was a total wash-out and should have maintained a sense of realism for this movie to be truly creepy.

I give it a 3.5 out of 5.

I also have to wonder why a two-time Oscar for best actress has to work in movies like this...why aren't people giving her good scripts work with?

Mansur

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home